The peaceful meditations of a bug's life: Macro-photography reveals almost human characteristics of the tiniest insects

By EDDIE WRENN

The peaceful life of an ant: This amazing macro photography offers a real insight into a Bugs Life

One ant sits on a pebble, surveying his kingdom. Another perches on the edge of a lake, quietly reflecting a single drop of water bumps the surface.
Elsewhere two ants appear to kiss - or are they fighting? Meanwhile a snail slowly slides past on the top of a petal.
This is A Bug's Life, mixed with a dash of zen meditation, as photographer Lee Pei Ling's series of photographs - taken in her own garden in Malaysia - bring almost human characteristics to these tiny creatures, each measuring just millimeters in length. Ling, from Malaysia, took these bright and colourful images in her back garden.
She uses water, flowers, and grass as props as well as the natural lighting and colours of the environment to create a beautiful take on a macro world.

Peaceful dip by the pool: The serene moments captured by the photographer paint a captivating tale of the insects of Malaysia

Photographer Lee Pei Ling, from Malaysia, took these bright and colourful images in her back garden last year

Making a story: 'These photos were created based on a sketch from my imagination. I was trying to create surreal world for this little creatures, everything was prearranged.'

Talking about her work she said: 'I start with an idea and then I create the props in my garden. I test the lighting and wait for hours for an insect to show up.
'It is hard to say how long it will take and each time is different. It is safe to say that they do not co-operate most of the time. Especially ants, they are the worst.
'Usually each image will take about four hours to perfect. If I haven't got it by then I tend to give up.'

Reflections of a bug: Ling uses water, flowers, and grass as props as well as the natural lighting and colours of the environment

Ling said: 'I start with an idea and then I create the props in my garden. I test the lighting and wait for hours for an insect to show up.'

Lee, 38, told how when she left her job as a designer she turned to photography.
She said: 'I've been taking photography more seriously in the past three years. Before that I was just having fun with my digital compact like most people do.
'But ever since I left my job I suddenly had this emptiness in my life that needed to be filled up by an interest or hobby.
'I put more effort into my photography and I discovered I really enjoyed macro photography.'

A butterfly flits down to the flowers, as specs of pollen float behind, in the beautiful macro-photography

Are they fighting, or kissing? The detailed lives of the creatures are almost invisible to the giant humans wandering around

A long task for the right shot: 'Usually each image will take about four hours to perfect. If I haven't got it by then I tend to give up'

She added: 'It started with my interest of gardening and nature. The easiest way for me to practice photography was to shoot flowers. Then I started to play around with flowers and insects. The end result was quite extraordinary. As you can see from the pictures.
'These photo was created based on a sketch from my imagination.
I was trying to create surreal world for this little creatures, everything was prearranged prior taking the picture, from background to flowers or grass in the photo. I was creating the image rather than capturing it.'

The series of images are incredible - but before that Ling 'was just having fun with my digital compact like most people do'

Bugs above: The series of incredible shots features insects and molluscs such as snails, ants, ladybirds and grasshoppers pictured against a number of stunning backdrops

source: dailymail