The buffalo whisperer: Luke, 13, tames one of Africa's most feared killers

By Mail Foreign Service

Kiss-off: Luke Michaelides, 13, plays with his two African wild buffalos Hop-a-long and her calf Skip-a-long

As a feared killer they belong to a group of animals known as the 'Black Death' to locals - but to 13-year-old Luke Michaelides these wild buffalo are his best friends.

Luke plays with, washes and even kisses mother 'Hop-a-long' and her offspring 'Skip-a-long', who live on the Michaelides' farmland in Limpopo, South Africa.


The species, known as the African buffalo or Cape buffalo, is a huge bovine that belongs to one of the country's 'big five' and are believed to kill over 200 people every year.

For animal whisperer Luke, who is writing a book about his relationship with the buffalo, his relationship has been built upon a slow process of trust and communication.

For the past nine months he has had the chance to get up close and personal with the creatures while his mum looks on holding her breath in fear.

'If they wanted to, Hop and Skip could rip me apart, but I don't think they will do it because I trust them,' said Luke, whose farm also houses hippos, leopards rhinos.
'I really started to get close to them at the turn of the year.

'Hop-a-long came to us in 2008 with a broken leg she had sustained after an accident with a male buffalo.

'Then eleven months later Skip-a-long was born.


Tongue-tied: As one of South Africa's most feared killers they belong to a group of animals known as the 'black death' to locals


'They looked so lonely in the camp all by themselves so I decided to go and keep them company.' Part of the 'Black Death' group because of their fearsome reputation, they are also one of the country's 'big five' - a term coined by big-game hunters to encompass the lion, leopard, rhino, elephant and buffalo.

Growing up to 6ft high and 11ft long, wild African buffaloes can weigh an astonishing 3,000lbs - meaning Luke is dwarfed by his unusual four-legged friends.

Approaching the buffalo a little closer each day, Luke attempted to get the buffalo to trust him.

'I would give them food and stand a distance away so they would get used to me and my voice,' said Luke.

'I spoke to them calmly and then one day they were acting so nicely that i decided to try and touch them.

'After that our relationship got stronger and stronger.

'I went everyday and spent time with them.


The Cape buffalo is a huge bovine that belongs to one of the country's 'big five' and are believed to kill over 200 people every year


'Now I take them food and water, I wash them with a scrubbing brush which they really enjoy.

'And lie on them as the sun goes down.'

Luke's parents Marion, 52, and father Jaani, 50, shows cautious support for his unique relationship.

'I really feel for his safety - every time he goes out to them I say a little prayer,' said Marion.

'I would never stop the relationship he has with them because to see it from a distance its something extremely special.

'He has been extremely patient with them. He spends many hours with them each day.

'He has taken time to get to know them and placed his trust in them and has a special rapport with them that we don't understand.'

Despite her mother's concerns, Luke's younger sister Ruth believes he has managed to tame the buffalo.


For animal whisperer Luke, who is writing a book about his relationship with the buffalo, his relationship has been built upon a slow process of trust and communication


'Sometimes I am frightened for him but not really anymore because he has them so tame and he has worked so hard,' said 11-year-old Ruth.

'Luke understands everything about them - they really are best friends.

'He has worked really hard to get them to trust him. He will take his books over there and study next to them and he has even spent a night with them to watch their behaviour.'

Despite his confidence in his relationship with the buffalo, Luke is aware of the dangers that with daring interaction like this.

'Buffalo are one of the big five and I know they can be dangerous,' said Luke.

Luke's book focuses on his interaction with the huge animals .

'Everyday I am here I write about them in a special book that I have,' he said.

'I describe what they are doing, how they are feeling and their emotions and how I am feeling about them.

'I love them and I have a passion for what I am doing and it's given me the chance to do something that's unique.'


source: dailymail